To Your Health: 5 Health Benefits of Swimming Pools
Everyone knows a backyard pool adds value to your home, but did you know it can improve your health? Between relieving stress, soothing aching muscles, and improving mobility, swimming significantly impacts your well-being. Installing a swimming pool could be the best decision you ever make for improving your life by developing healthy habits and taking time for recreation. The following are some of the health benefits of swimming pools you can take advantage of:
- Low impact exercise. Unlike running, which causes stress on your legs and feet, or weightlifting, which can compress your spine and put your body under severe strain, swimming is a low impact exercise. Your body is supported by the water, and the only impact that you make is in kicking off from the walls of the pool.
- Complete body exercise. Swimming is a great way to use virtually all of your muscle groups, getting a complete body workout found in few other sports. Through the variety of strokes, you can stretch and exercise many muscle groups in different ways, all while getting a great cardio workout. Swimming in sprints will improve your fast-twitch muscles; the ones used in weightlifting and high speed activities. Longer strokes and a slower pace will increase your endurance and strengthen slow-twitch muscles.
- Heart-healthy exercise. Swimming is a cardiovascular workout, like running, in that it strengthens your lungs and heart. This lowers your resting heart rate and blood pressure, and increases your lung capacity – all of which are hugely beneficial to your overall health.
- Stretch out muscles. In addition to giving your muscles a workout, swimming also stretches them, loosening them up even as you prepare to use them in exercise. This is good for flexibility and keeping your joints and muscles healthy.
- Relieve stress. Like all exercise, swimming releases endorphins, which improves your mood and takes away stress and worry. Swimming is a good way to deal with frustration and let go of anger or stress through repetitive motions and constant movement.
If you want to get a head start on your healthy lifestyle today, consider installing a home pool. Olympus Pools is available to help you with all the planning and decision making that goes into the best pool construction in Tampa, FL.